I feel blessed that I get to connect with you in these difficult times – even if my impact is small, helping one person get through the day 1% better is all I need to make it worthwhile writing these newsletters.
💜 What I’ve enjoyed
Being stuck at home and bored can lead to some creative and funny stuff being made:
- This guy makes cool Quarantine Marble Rallies on self-made wooden boards (the sounds are also pretty nice). This led me to find the Marble Olympics on Jelle’s Marble Runs – amazing!
- A guy playing Hedwig’s theme with homemade instruments
- This funny dance with body parts flying in (there’s several remakes but the original is best)
- This one’s a bit older: The channel Joseph’s machines has these ridiculous, intricate domino-like constructions (this is my favorite, a Cake Server). Do we need to build those, too, when social distancing becomes the new norm?
🤔 What I’ve been thinking about
The one best thing we can do when quarantined is taking care of our health and boost our immune systems. Wouldn’t this be a good time to adopt some positive new habits?
Before thinking about fancy advanced techniques, I’d always start with improving the essentials: The three things having the biggest effect on your health and daily well-being are argualbly your Sleep, Fitness, and Nutrition.
Nutrition: I know binge eating is very appealing in these times. Instead, we should use our idle time to learn more about nutrition and become better cooks ourselves! Here’s a few books that I’d recommend: Food: What the Heck Should I Eat? (Mark Hyman – very hands on with many recipes). Also consider reducing carbs/gluten in your food (here’s a good book on what it does to your brain) and making intermittent fasting a habit.
Fitness: Don’t get lazy, you don’t need a gym to stay in shape! There’s countless good Fitness YouTubers, but I like scooby1961 best – he’s a nice (somewhat goofy) giant, and he has great videos on the basics. Or get this good book on bodyweight exercises.
Finally, I’d strongly recommend you supplement Vitamin D (here’s why it’s specifically helpful against the virus – most of us need to supplement it all year round, as we don’t get enough sun exposure). I take something like this daily.
😴 What helped me find calm this week
Intentional ASMR Picks:
The great thing about ASMR is that the creators can make them at home, even when quarantined (there’s lots of time, too). It might be more difficult to get props, and there seem to be a bit less videos than usually – but there were still great videos this week, which I’ve added to my “ASMR Favorites” Playlist”:
- Goodnight Moon’s 1920s Party Chatter was my week’s favorite ASMR video: there aren’t that many triggers, but kudos for the amazing costume and props
- This guy YoungPrince just has the perfect whispering voice, and even though his latest Chill Job interview roleplay isn’t very elaborate, it gave me nice ASMR
- PierreG is a channel that wasn’t really on my radar, even though it’s very popular! I enjoyed him whispering in many languages (quite amazing how good it sounds!)
- Here’s FredsVoice building a LEGO Star Wars Tie Fighter (I wonder if Thor is really into building lego sets:)
- Latte made a new Face Cleaning video, and even though it’s a bit simpler then usually, the triggers are great
- As usual, I enjoyed Ephemeral Rift’s recent videos “the Fast Food Man” and “Removing sharp objects from your face” (what a strange idea:)
💎 Hidden gem ASMR Channel of the week:
Oopsydaisy ASMR has some creative videos, especially her recent Cyberpunk 2077 Roleplay (she’s repairing & upgrading you). The props and effects are cool, and her voice is pleasant (and I’m looking forward to the game!)
Ah, and by the way, I made an ASMR video myself (it’s quite unusual – I’m drawing Pokémon on my new tablet. I had fun making this:)
Unintentional ASMR Picks:
- My favorite unintentional ASMR video was this Asian lady Doodling (I love her accent, her stories and her humming)
- I made another Shamanic Cleansing Ritual (Limpia) compilation – it’s cool to see that people have made ASMR ceremonies for a long time:)
- This guy recorded himself with a bodycam shopping in a spooky North Korean (!) store (it’s interesting and relaxing)
- Here’s a very soft spoken doctor on virus prevention (short & sweet)
- I liked watching a Russian girl browsing through her sketchbook, even though I didn’t understand a word
- This guy (Igor Chibilyaev) makes awesome pen sketches
- Supermodel Candice Swanepoel’s (fake nude) makeup tutorial is very relaxing!
- A pretty sexy female German voice on German Radio (it’s very short & on my FindeRuhe channel)
Disclaimer: a few Amazon links above are Affiliation links