I’m at my 4 year old niece’s. I love her, but taking care of her for a longer time is incredibly exhausting to me, I don’t know how my sister does it as a single mom. I’m also too gullible, my niece is a master manipulator when it comes to getting her way (which is usually getting candy or watching Peppa Pig).
In any case, I didn’t really get to write something for today, so I asked my dear friend if she had any ideas – and she actually said yes! So she wrote the “thought of the week” part. It’s pretty deep and dramatic, I’m not sure if I understand everything (she’s much smarter than me), but I’m incredibly grateful for it.
🤔 What I’ve been Thinking Of
I have a feeling that I’m not the only one. Despite my best attempts to center myself in a world that appears to be burning down, my mind keeps returning to the “Mama… Mama” that George Floyd spoke while suffocating.
A few days ago, the CEO had scheduled a meeting with the entire company to discuss how we could “solve the problem”. When someone innocently asked “Which problem, exactly?”, the dead air of speechlessness seemed painfully ironic.
Like you, I’ve been reading and trying to inform myself, but I can’t help but feel that we’re all being squeezed and constricted. I’ve wondered about the ways in which I, as an individual, have committed to the system that drowns others out. More recently, I’ve wondered about the ways in which I, as an individual, have drowned myself out, to (conveniently) avoid having to commit to the system.
In writing this, I learned that the original meaning of the word Calmness is “to burn”. I’m challenging myself to cultivate that kind of calmness – where my habitual safe choice is into stillness or solitude, perhaps I will grow more in a crackling inferno.
😴 What might help you find calm
Intentional ASMR Picks:
- Zeigeist hasn’t made roleplays in a while, but this recent one is excellent! It’s an Outer Space Sleep Clinic, I love the setting and the different triggers
- My second pick is RaffyTaphy’s tapping assortment with new triggers
- GentleWhispering‘s Gentle Face Cleaning was excellent, too. I liked the spraying and serum application parts most
- I loved the idea of ASMR in an abandoned plane by Dean ASMR
- I didn’t really know this channel and the British accent so I wanted to recommend it here: Beaux ASMR. Her recent water sounds and tapping video is great
Unintentional ASMR Picks:
- Here’s another relaxing Baccarat Casino session with mumbling dealers (I played this for the first time and actually won a bit of money:)
Some of my favorite Unintentional ASMR is by magicians or magic props collectors:
- Grand Illusions is one of my all time favorites (it’s an elderly British man with a beautiful voice & accent showing his insane toy and magic prop collection – it apparently comprises about 25,000 unique items). Most videos on the channel are great, but check out this one where he shows some magic trap cards, these amazing transformer toys, or these unusual crinkly soaps
- Brotherbor is a cool Dutch hobby magician who collects all sorts of magical props (or he makes them from LEGO). I made a compilation of his best videos which you can check out here
- Another amazing magician is Tony Slydini. His performance on the Dick Cavett show with ropes, cigarettes and coins is elegant and relaxing to me
- I made a compilation with other magicians and channels with magical props that make for great Unintentional ASMR – I think you could like it too!