Where’s your life heading right now? I feel disoriented and unproductive quite often, especially if so much remains uncertain. There seems to be a weird tension in the air, even if things start to open up again. Hopefully I can bring you a little calm and inspiration, though.
🤔 What I’ve been thinking about
Work your ass off to get very good at something that you care deeply about that allows you to serve not only yourself but other people.
I know that’s a bit long-winded, but I like it. I heard Tom Bilyeu say it, he calls it his “formula for fulfillment”. He has a pretty good YouTube channel where he interviews interesting people and experts from different domains. Also he lost a lot of weight and made a good chunk of money as a co-founder of Quest Nutrition, if that’s of any relevance.
There are several things that I like about this credo:
- “Work your ass off“: There seems to be a strange law of nature that nothing worthwhile in this life comes easy. Be it a fulfilling career or being in good shape: You’ll need to work hard if you want above-average results. It’ll be worth it. Even if you “fail”, you’ll learn how to work hard, which is probably the most valuable of all skills. Don’t burn yourself out, though
- “Get very good“: This is pretty much inevitable if you “work your ass off”. But it will take patience and tenacity – but once you’re there, it feels pretty amazing to be competent at something
- “That you care deeply about“: It sucks becoming good at something you hate. Many (most?) people stick to their career path for life even though they hate it, because it’s too difficult and costly to start at zero again.
Don’t just follow whatever your parents or society want you to do. Follow your bliss, as the great Mythology professor Joseph Campbell would say. “Go where your body and soul want to go. Stay with it, and don’t let anyone throw you off.” That’s one of the most common regrets dying people have, by the way: I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. What brings you joy is more important than what makes most money (even the “hustle entrepreneur” Gary Vee says that). But you should have a realistic plan if you want to make a living with a very niche hobby that few people value (but if you work hard, you can become one of the best in that niche and 1000 true fans can suffice to make a living. But maybe you don’t need to make your job your “bliss”)
- “That allows you to serve not only yourself but other people“: That’s my favorite part. I believe we all eventually realize that we need to move from “me me me” mode to “how can I serve others?” I write about this in my little book as well (you can read it here for free). You don’t need to become Mother Theresa. In a way, you serve yourself the most by doing this, because becoming “others oriented” will make you much calmer and happier
😴 What helped me find calm this week
Intentional ASMR Picks:
- Gibi’s “Inner Sound Cleansing” video was excellent and visually beautiful. I probably liked the umbrella and water sounds the most
- I haven’t really featured Madi ASMR yet. The whispering voice and brushing sounds of her recent fluffy mic sound video are amazing
- PierreG might look a bit scary (to me) but he makes amazing ASMR – his recent trigger assortment is superb, he’s very talented at this stuff
- Ephemeral Rift‘s latest video is titled “ASMR for the Angry & Upset“. I was kind of upset when watching it, but it should be enjoyable for non-angry people as well. The squishy brain and the (infamous) rubber chicken were my favorite triggers
- Nikita Dragun (I didn’t really follow her before to be honest) doesn’t usually make ASMR, but she did a surprisingly good job in this video with spraying, combing, hand moisteryzing etc.
Again, I’ve added these to my ASMR Favorites Playlist.
💎 Hidden Gem ASMR Channel Did you know there’s a couple making ASMR together? (It’s mostly the woman massaging the guy, to be honest). The channel name? ASMR Couple🙂 And they’re lovely! I especially enjoyed this Shampoo & Scalp Check or this Nitpicking Whiteheads on Scalp (I didn’t know this was a thing). The lady also has her own channel: Malaika ASMR.
Unintentional ASMR Picks:
- Toby (her channel name is Tibees) from Australia creates content about physics, math and astronomy. She has an amazing accent and her whole channel is pretty relaxing, but I like “Einstein’s grades” and “logarithms explained Bob Ross style” most
- The channel Midwest Gardener is perfect for relaxing gardening tutorials (it’s an elderly guy living in Kansas with an amazing voice). Another relaxing gardening channel is Charles Dowding which I had talked about before
- Someone recommended another relaxing Fly Tying channel: Davie McPhail. He has the perfect Scottish (?) accent, it’s worth it even if you’re not into Fly Fishing
- Musician Lil Tracy calmly explaining his tattoos and what they mean
- An interesting mini-documentary about a guy (with a lovely Greek accent) restoring a medieval tower house on the awesome channel of Kristen Dicksen
You can find these (and more) on my new playlist of Unintentional ASMR favorites – I will update it regularly.